Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Silly Grownups

“Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grownups have another kind.” – C.S. Lewis

A while back I said something to the effect that I was sure Professor Dawkins could tell us all sorts of fascinating things about amino acids and helixes and chromosomes, and not come anywhere near all the nonsense he becomes entangled in when he talks about God.
Well I am afraid that after watching his lecture series Growing Up in the Universe, I must say I may have been mistaken. First though let me say that when it comes to telling us things about biology and ethology, he is really rather good. But he just cannot seem to keep from straying into more philosphic matters. At the end of the lecturs he saluts our ponderusly larg brains and proclams that at last there is a truly “grownup” specis in the unavers.
Now, I may be wrong, but is this not exactly the sort of conceit that he warns us against in The Ancestor's Tale? Is not the wasp “grownup” compared to the bacteria? Might we not be infantile compared to some other being?
The Ancestor's Tale, was apparently written well after the “growing up” lectures, perhaps Professor Dawkins’ worldview is evolving.

No comments: